Monday, August 2, 2010

Fake Grass, Real Stickers





















The newspaper from Texas arrived in Amsterdam with a visitor, who, like others before her, had kindly contacted me before leaving her home to ask if there was anything I wanted from the USA.

“A local newspaper, please.”

I like reading the most local of stories, of knowing that I’m supporting a local economy somewhere by encouraging the purchase of what I consider to be an important presence in each community. For the traveller, newspapers are not expensive. They are readily available and pose no packing problems.
The Texan delivered.

As the headline above reveals, the story that caught my eye concerned a resident of Dallas caught up in a legal battle over his front yard. His home stands in an urban zone of historical importance, and inhabitants have obligations: buildings and property must be maintained. The photograph of the man published with the article is slightly blurred, taken from a position higher than the subject. Motion, height: I imagined the photographer cruising past the man in a tall pick-up truck, vibrating in suspension over monstrous tires, the engine toned down to a percolating rumble as the subject was approached.
The pick-up passengers might have spoken with the man, although the article quotes a daughter, not the man himself, to explain his point of view. His English, it seems, was not very fluent. The picture might have been taken by a photographer drifting past in a helicopter, zooming in as the chopper sought balance in mid-air. As portrayed, the man does not seem to object to being photographed, but he does look sad. He had gone to great lengths to provide his home with a decent yard, but now, if I remember correctly, Dallas officials had ruled that the fake grass (widely used in the region, easily available) had to be removed, because it didn’t match the house on the lot.

I was also struck by the free color insert in this edition of the newspaper: stickers for readers’ appointment books. ‘Swimming pool services’ and ‘hunting season’ had two stickers each, while ‘family reunion’ had only one.


3 comments:

Mary McAlpine Dempster said...

This is hilarious. I can't help commenting. I live in the Toronto area in Canada, in a suburban town called Oakville and I noticed that a neighbour has laid down astroturf recently. It's so bizarre. These people have a lakefront property on Lake Ontario so across this very wide expanse of water is Rochester New York. These silly people actually have an antique cannon pointed towards the US of A. How stupid is that? Anyways I just get a kick out of your article. Thanks Martha.

Martha said...

You're welcome, Mary. I do like the antique cannon on astroturf detail, especially near my mother's hometown - Toronto.

Lisa Jones said...

Great article! Thank you very much!
Seattle artificial grass