Tuesday, June 5, 2007

So Far This Much is Known - Not Allowed to Show You Pt.2

I had written to the bank requesting a translation, should they have it, of an Arabic text on a plastic file given to their clients. In response, the bank sent me another product for clients: a paper file (which tucks inside the plastic one) with relevant design background information on its inside cover. Eight examples of bookkeeping techniques throughout the ages are depicted, including the 11th-century Egyptian customs book with the Arabic text. Five or six lines of introductory text accompany each image. I thanked the Communications Department for the reply and repeated, very gently, my interest in viewing an actual translation.

The response from the bank was that the translation had already been sent to me. In the bank's view, the summary is the translation. I don't expect to hear from them again and may never learn about the full content of the writing on the plastic file. At this stage I am proceeding on the assumption that the bank does not have a translation of either the Arabic text or the Hieroglyphics on another image I inquired about: the hat-shaped papyrus scrap, which, as it turns out, is not papyrus at all, but an unglazed pottery shard known as an ostracon, from the Greek 'ostrakon' meaning a shell or earthenware fragment used as a voting ballot, among other things.

According to the bank's blurb, the Egyptians used these shards for taking notes. The terra cotta roof-tile fragments which are smashed onto the streets of Amsterdam by heavy wind storms in the winter are sometimes quite beautiful, but I'm pleased that I do not have to carry them around as my notepad. In the old days, papyrus cost money, whereas an ostracon could be picked up off the streets anytime you wanted to jot something down. The actual hieroglyphics in the bank design seem to constitute a note declaring Taurine's intent to repay his debt to Papnoute. That's all I know.
Both the ostracon and the customs book images are on my computer, and perhaps one day I'll learn more.

No comments: